The roof of one’s home is a symbolic gesture of shelter, but it also physically protects a home from rain, snow and even sun. Yet, there isn’t much to protect our roof, which can lead to a number of problems. When it comes down to it, roof damage is often expensive and incredibly time consuming. For one thing, having a major leak or energy hole in your roof may be causing your utility bills to rise. Not only that, but you may be experiencing a leaking roof, which may be causing mold to build up in the eaves. Here are some of the most common causes of roof damage.
- Water damage. This is perhaps the most common cause of roof damage. When it rains, snows, or even when there is a heavy morning due, condensation and moisture can get inside the eaves of your roof and wreak havoc. In order to fix roof leaks, you want to repair the leaks and then waterproof your roof – a company like Heritage Roofing and Waterproofing Inc. will do a remarkable job waterproofing your roof.
- Uplift issues. If you live in a region that has extreme winds, you may be experiencing an issue called uplifting. Uplifting is not as positive as it sounds – uplifting is usually characterized by nails that have come loose from the joist and are causing the roof to flap loose in some areas. This is a serious problem that could get worse with time and it can present a serious risk to the safety of the persons inside your home. Ideally, you want to remedy this situation right away – a professional roofing company will either secure the roof or rebuild a more secure section of the roof.
- Neglect. Next to water damage, this is another incredibly common cause of damage. As a homeowner, it is important to maintain your roof. Every eight to ten years, you want to have your roof refinished. Depending on the size of your home, this may be expensive, but it is a cost that you have to be prepared for. Neglecting your roof will not only cause more and more damage, but it will also decrease the value of your home and the curb appeal.
- Erosion. Structural erosion is another cause of roof damage. Erosion happens as a result of time and age. If you live in a region that gets battered by storms and high winds, erosion may be more severe. In most cases, the erosion occurs around the eaves and it can affect the structural soundness of your entire roof, so you want to have this issue looked at and remedied right away.
- Broken shingles. This is a simple problem that can have big implications – a missing shingle or two is a sign that there are bigger problems afoot. It may be as simple as a broken shingle that can be simply repaired, but it may be that you have holes, perforations or other major problems. In the end, it never hurts to look, because fixing problems sooner will ensure that you don’t have to spend a fortune on redoing your entire roof.