Having a fence around your home is important, especially if you live near a city or a region where theft is a big problem. When it comes to theft deterrence, a fence can really help – if thieves don’t have a strong line of vision in and out of your home, your home is probably a less worthy target. Not only that, but installing a fence is also important if you have pets or children that you don’t want running off into the street. When it comes to protecting your children from busy thoroughfares, a strong, effective fence may just save your child’s life. Here are five things to consider before installing a new property fence.
- Your property line. Before you install a fence, you want to mark your property line. You don’t want to estimate, because you could go over the line and risk breaking the law or a property code. Not to mention, your neighbor may ask you to tear down the fence and rebuild, which can cost even more money and time. So, be sure to mark your property line before you build your fence.
- Think about how much privacy you want your fence to offer. Some homeowners opt for a partial fence that protects children and infants – also pets – from running into the street. While these partial fences are effective at protection, they may not offer that much privacy. If you want more privacy, you may want to build a taller fence – a fence with more coverage. Of course, this is up to your personal preference, but it is an important consideration that you don’t want to fail to make.
- Be sure to consider the trees around your home. Ideally, you don’t want to build a fence too close to a tree, because you could risk one of two things: you could either drive a spike into a vital tree root or you could risk tree roots damaging your fence later down the line. So, make sure that you thoroughly inspect the proximity of all your trees and where the roots are. If you dig too deep and hit a tree root, you could potentially kill it.
- Understand your homeowner’s association rules and regulations. In some cases, you may not be able to build a certain type of fence. According to the homeowner’s association, there may be rules and guidelines as to the color, height and even material of the fence. So, to avoid getting fined for breaking rules, you want to read through your homeowner’s association manual or you can ask a representative at the main office.
- Know when to hire the professionals. In some cases, you may not have the tools, materials or know how to build a fence. If that is the case, you may want to call a company, like the Ram Fence Company, to help build your fence for you. In the end, hiring a company will usually offer the best results and the most beautiful looking fence.