Finding carefree solutions to maintain and clean your swimming pool is not a complete pipe dream. The key to cleaning and maintaining your pool is through prevention. Making sure that you take weekly, monthly and annual preventative measures to make sure the water is clean, the filter is clear and there isn’t too much, or too little chorine, is vital. Moreover, if you want to properly maintain your swimming pool, you want to become dedicated. The easiest way to become dedicated is to look at your pool like an asset. If you don’t, you could wind up with some expensive problems on your hands. Here are five effective tips and tricks for maintaining and cleaning your swimming pool.
- Make sure that you properly chlorinate your pool. Chlorination is important, because it will allow your pool to fight off bacteria and other harmful agents that can pollute the water. Bacteria can end up damaging the pool and it can also cause health problems. Chlorination is an important weekly task. Depending on how big your pool is you can usually drop a few tablets into your skimmer, which should dissolve and cover your whole pool.
- Make sure to filtrate daily. There is a good chance that your pool has an automatic filter. It is critical that your filter is turned on for at least six hours a day, especially during the warm months when you are using it the most. However, you also want to use your filter in the winter, especially if you don’t have a cover. Filtration will make sure to get rid of detritus that can wind up in the pool. This detritus can end up causing an unenjoyable swimming experience, but it can also cause your pool to look dirty and unkempt.
- Make sure to cover the pool on a daily basis. It is important that you cover your pool when you aren’t using it or at the end of the day. If too much detritus, like leaves, twigs and other plant matter winds up in the pool, your filter could get damaged from going on overdrive. So, you want to make sure that you use a cover. There are some great automatic covers that require a simple push of a button instead of having to manually roll them up.
- Make sure to clean out the skimmers. Your pool’s skimmers are usually located along the edge of the pool. They look like baskets and you can access them through a little gate in the floor. Your skimmers are responsible for collecting large debris, so you want to empty out these skimmers on a regular basis.
- Make sure that you drain and clean your pool on an annual basis. It is critical that you empty out your pool every year or so and scrub the edges and the bottom of the pool. You also want to remove any algae that may have built up. You also want to make sure that you have a fresh new body of water. In the end, keeping your pool fresh and clean requires a deep scrub once and a while.