If you just purchased an older home or if you live in a home that is getting on in its years, you may want to think about upgrading the electrical system. Older electrical systems can not only cause inconvenient problems, but they can also be quite dangerous – posing the risk for electrical shock and fires. Moreover, you may be dealing with some nuisances, like not being able to plug in some modern appliances because the voltage isn’t adequate. In addition, having an older electrical system can be inefficient and you may be wasting more energy than you think. Here are five benefits of an electrical upgrade in an older home.
- A newer electrical system is a safer electrical system. By upgrading your electrical system, you are making your home safer and reducing the risk of a fire or electrical shock. This is especially important if you have children. Older electrical systems may not only show signs of wear and tear – like frayed wires – but there may not be sufficient insulation on the wires themselves, which could further increase the risk of a catastrophe.
- More versatility. Today’s appliances require newer electrical systems to properly power them. The truth is that older electrical systems just don’t have what it takes. It may be that your electrical system is quite old – and perhaps not grounded – and is giving off too much power. Too much electricity can be bad for your appliances and it can cause surges, which can damage computers, smartphones, televisions and much more.
- Modernization. As a homeowner, you have a duty to upgrade all the systems in your home – from the electrical system to the plumbing system. So, if it’s time for an electrical service upgrade, you may want to hire a company – like 123 Electric Service - to update your entire system. As a homeowner living in the 21st century, you simply need modern systems to keep up. There is also a good chance that you may be paying more in utilities as a result of your older electrical system.
- Better quality of life. Having an older electrical system can decrease your quality of life in more ways than one. For instance, antiquated electrical systems can be a constant burden. You may be dealing with outlets that spark, smoke or simply turn off. You may also be dealing with loud buzzing and humming. On top of being incredibly dangerous, older electrical systems can also be an annoyance. So, your life may be more enjoyable with a newer electrical system.
- Increased resale value. If you are planning on reselling your home, you want to make sure that you upgrade the electrical system. You could risk getting a lower offering price on your home if you don’t. So, if you want to eliminate one of the biggest negotiating chips, you want to simply do away with your old system and install a new one. In the end, a newer electrical system may even attract homebuyers.